Friday, February 27, 2009

Vintage Scholastic Books


I've recently fallen in love all over again with this adorable little book! The image above is one of my favorites, though it's hard to pick favorites when they're all so great. Let me introduce you, or maybe reintroduce you to The Lucky Book of Riddles (©1974) written by Eva Moore and in my opinion masterfully illustrated by Olivia H. H. Cole. The ultra-simplistic campy line drawings of sweetly posed children are dreamy! This book clearly set me on the path of clean and simple art at an early age. This was presumably one of my very first scholastic books when I hit grade school. By the looks of the wear and tear, it was also one of my favorites and now is one of Blake's favorites. Thanks Mom for taking care to keep track of it all those years while you were waiting for me to settle down. It's a very small book, perfect for little hands. The jokes are a little corny but homespun and cute nonetheless. Clearly set the bar for my sense of humor. Guess that makes two of us now ;-)

p.s. I'd love to know more about Olivia H.H. Cole but I found very little specific information about her online. If anyone has info on her or finds something, please post the info in your comment. Thanks!

1 comment:

  1. Oh, come on, doesn't anyone think this artwork is incredibly cute? ;-)

    ReplyDelete

Blog Widget by LinkWithin