Friday, July 31, 2009

The Power of Nice


I know I've mentioned this before, but I really love libraries. The idea of cooperatively sharing books and knowledge -- for FREE -- is just so perfectly utopian. I've been a card carrying member of our library for 11 years now. Lately I've been purposely seeking out small reads, little books that pack a big punch. A good book that I can easily read in one sitting, or two, at the most. On my last visit I found this little treat, The Power of Nice, by Linda Kaplan Thaler & Robin Koval, which I read in an afternoon. It's a great little book with a main message of considering every interaction, situation, chance meeting, etc. as an opportunity. An opportunity to share, be helpful and in general, be nice. You never know when a chance encounter might become your next big opportunity. And consider that opportunities go both ways; maybe it's your turn to help someone else discover something big. It's not rocket science really, just simple principles. Much of it stems from biblical teaching, though it does not directly mention that as the source. The Secret and countless other purveyors of universal truths all understand the same principle: Give and it will be given back unto you. Though this book is directly written as a business how-to, it clearly crosses over to much more personal territory. It's a concise reminder of the things that most of us already know. The golden rule revisited. I love how, when you read or study something, you start to see the things around you measured by that knowledge. This week, as I mentioned in my last post, my family was treated in a very rude and uncaring manner by someone we trusted. For a business, this is the kiss of death. For an individual such behavior will quickly poison relationships and dry up opportunities. How hard is it to be nice really? Not fake or fluffy, but truly nice. Maybe we don't have the answer someone is seeking, but we can help them find the answer rather than just turning them away. Consider how your responses can affect someone, whether good or bad. Reading this book won't change your personality but it will remind you of what your missing out on when you chose not to be nice.

1 comment:

  1. Great post. I have found that being nice to others always bring me happiness in return. Thanks for sharing your recent library find. Wishing you a wonderful weekend. :)

    ReplyDelete

Blog Widget by LinkWithin